At D&H, on any given day, we interact with over five decades of technology in auto repair. New concepts spring up constantly as advancing technology makes the theoretical not only possible, but less expensive. The cutting edge in automotive technology is often about what makes it cheaper to produce better cars.
The newest engine technology in automotive design sounds futuristic and almost hypothetical, but it’s coming out now or has been out for some time, and we’re just beginning to become aware of them:
- Augmented Reality displays – the same kind of computer system seen in the Marvel Comics films is actually here, now, albeit display only. BMW, Chevrolet, Jaguar, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Toyota and Volvo all have cars out, today, with augmented reality heads-up displays, which project speed, gas levels, lane guidance, directions where the driver can see while still focusing on the road ahead.
- 2.7L EcoBoost engine – OEM’s latest Ford technology marries efficiency and reliability and will likely become an industry leader until the 48-Volt electrical system becomes economical.
- 48-Volt Electrical Systems – Electric Accessory Drives are the way of the future. This system has already been attempted, but not successfully. Once it is perfected, it will enable up to 10 kW of output to cover the drain of more and more electronic devices being used by the car’s electrical systems.
- Mild Hybrids – These vehicles were a dud when they first launched do to a lack of electrical output, but once the 48-Volt systems can be implemented in them, they will marry the hybrid technology power output to make hybrids the way of the future.
- Advanced Cylinder Deactivation – this system is designed to automatically switch off two or four cylinders when the speed and travel rate of the car doesn’t need as many cylinders running, to conserve energy.
- Fuel-Cell Plug-In Hybrids – these high-powered hydrogen fuel-cells work to extend the range of a hybrid vehicle with zero emissions.
- Conformable Hydrogen Storage Tanks – this system of energy distribution put electricity through the car in much the same way our intestines work to redistribute waste. They are flexible and can be worked around an existing engine structure to fit inside the engine snuggly.
Are you as excited as we are to see what the next few years produces in engine technology? We’re looking forward to getting under the hoods of the most advanced cars the world has ever seen. Does your existing vehicle need some TLC? Click on this link to schedule an appointment with us today. We’re located at 2689 Monument Blvd, Concord, CA 94520. Our hours of operation are Mon – Fri: 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM.